I promised a friend I would draw her something. In color. Today. So I did.
While the light was being beautiful, I grabbed a clock and an Ikea light and created a quick composition. Below you can see the source reference photo and the process. Took about a half hour. Plus or minus some wine and scotch. You can catch the higher res images over on the Flickr set.
Thus began the effort to port a bunch of ActionScript 3.0 vector drawing commands over to line loops in OpenGL. I used Processing as my framework since I’m used to it, and it gave me a 1:1 mapping of the OpenGL API. I was able to use various C++ OpenGL tutorials and books to accomplish my goals. I used the super-helpful TileSaver classfrom Marius Watz to generate hi-res renders.
Now after all this, I realized that it was time to take the plunge and start getting closer to the metal. Thus began the next port of Noise Column; this time I went to C++.
I’ve been reading Stephen Prata’s C++ Primer Plus for the last couple months on and off. For me, learning from books makes sense. Moreover, learning the reasons for writing the code you write is so essential for retention for me. This book is simply great.
So for the C++ port, I moved over to openFrameworks as my C++ framework. OpenFrameworks is great, but there’s still a long way to go before it becomes the Processing of C++. Regardless, I had learned just enough C++ to figure out how to port all this stuff over. Two days later, I was able to generate a moving version of Noise Column:
Now it’s time to start doing stuff with “real” 3D in OpenGL — a dimension I’ve got nearly zero experience with.
I decided to embrace the fact that I deal with digital media and traditional media in two different ways. It’s time to focus on one or the other, and traditional media came out the winner. There’s probably not going to be a whole lot of digital emphasis here for a while.
I purchased a new Moleskine today with the intent of making it a “proper” sketchbook. Apparently, the white half of me can’t get enough of these suckers. Instead of being filled with lists, haphazard notes from meetings, and personal finance budgets, it’s going to be filled with creative mistakes.
It’s time to widen the gap between these two facets of my creative self and see what comes of it.
I just want to say that I got lots of great feedback from friends and strangers regarding the redesign of my portfolio site. And thanks to all of you for it.
The two biggest issues (and I whole-heartedly agree):
The logo was weak and didn’t fit in.
The italic typeface didn’t read well in longer chunks.
So, instead of spending days on a logo treatment, I just put my name up in big, simple VAG Rounded Bold. And I used it for any type that was living on a white ground. I think things got balanced out with the change. Feeling better about it now, at least from the side of legibility.
Still moving along on this. Here’s a little effect for transitioning between a project’s images. Feels a little too random right now…probably because it is, in fact, just random. I think I’ll move to something a little more organic that “sweeps” the grid mask across the image.